Thursday, January 31, 2013

Basa Fish Tacos


Basa Fish Tacos

Cilantro is my new lettuce. This tasty little herb has worked its way into my heart and my palate, plus I just found out that cilantro is a natural cleansing agent with antioxidants! Check that out here: http://www.globalhealingcenter.com/natural-health/health-benefits-of-cilantro/


I purchased a frozen, individually wrapped package of Basa fish at Publix not to long ago and created this most delicious recipe using them. One package had about 6 individually wrapped fillets in it.  I was delighted at how well everything came out and just had to share! This recipe is for 2 people.


You will need: 
2-3 fillets of Basa 
1/2 of a very small white onion thinly diced
chopped cilantro
Jerk seasoning
olive oil
corn tortillas
Cotija mexican style parmesan cheese (I found this in an ethnic grocery store, if you can't find it,   try another white crumbly cheese but do not use regular parmesan...it is not the same thing!) 

Coat your thawed Basa with Jerk seasoning. To thaw fish filets quickly, keep in their individual packages and place in hot water. They should be thawed out in about 5 minutes. 

I like to use a wok when I cook. Put your wok or skillet on medium heat with 2 tablespoons of olive oil. If you love a little spice like I do you can use one tablespoon of chili oil in replace of 1/2 of the olive oil. I mix the two oils in the wok.  

When your wok is warm, add your Basa. Cook on each side for about 3 minutes or more depending on the thickness of the fillet. When done chop your fillets into bite size pieces. 

While your fish is cooking start warming your tortillas.  I use a crepe skillet for this but any skillet will work. Heat one tablespoon of olive oil on medium heat. Cook one tortilla at a time for about 1 minute on both sides to make it soft and warm. Do not over cook or your tortilla will be crunchy. I always have a plate with a napkin on stand by to move my warm tortilla over to.  If you are trying to cut calories then you can warm your tortilla in the microwave for about 40 seconds.  (This definitely does not taste as good) 

Create your tacos and enjoy! 



No comments:

Post a Comment